Tips to Help Reduce Computer Eye Strain
Use proper lighting to reduce glare
- *Position your computer screen so as to avoid glare from windows or overhead lighting.
- *Close blinds and move your screen from any light source that may be causing glare.
- *A glare filter for your screen may also help.
Adjust the position of your computer monitor
- *Station your monitor so that it is approximately 18 to 28 inches from your eyes.
- *Adjust your computer screen so that it is 4-6 inches below eye level.
- *Try to keep materials beside the monitor so as to require less head movement.
- *Desk height should be approximately 26 inches.
- *Your arms should be positioned at a 90-degree angle when typing on your keyboard.
Adjust your computer settings
- *Adjust brightness and contrast settings until you find the balance that is easiest on your eyes.
- *Increase the font size to make reading easier.
- *Using boldface font will also help.
- *Black Text on a white background is best or other high contrast combinations.
Take a break
- *Taking frequent breaks when working on the computer helps reduce eye strain.
- *Just as changing your focus and blinking often. Blinking moistens your eyes and prevents dryness and irritation.
- *After 20 minutes of computer use, change your focus to something at least 20 feet away for approximately 20 seconds. Known as the 20-20-20 Rule for Computer Use, this helps relax the muscles in the eye used for focusing.
- *If you have a tendency to get very absorbed in your work, set an alarm on your phone or computer that will alert you to take a break.
Get reading glasses specifically for computer use
- *Get a routine eye exam. An uncorrected vision problem or an incorrect prescription can contribute to any eye strain you may be experiencing. Often a slight prescription change will make a noticeable difference.
- *Get reading glasses for your specific working distance. By measuring your different working distances, your eye doctor can customize your prescription accordingly.
- *If you experience dry eye discomfort, ask your doctor about lubricating eye drops.
Tackling blue light stimulation
- *Limit computer use and adjusting cell phone brightness before bedtime.
- *Switch to the nightshift mode on your phone display to reduce stimulating blue light default cell phone settings.
- *Switched out customary blue light led bulbs for warm white led bulbs, especially in the bedroom.
- *Disconnect from all digital devices at least an hour before bedtime.
For more information about computer reading glasses, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org